100 Years Ago
June 20-23, 1916
Miss Lillian Bradshaw, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Owen Bradshaw of Warren, and Broadus Christian, son of Mrs. George Howe of near this city, were married June 15 in Palmyra.
W.S. Woodson let the contract to E.E. Kratz for the erection of a $10,000 apartment house in Pine Grove Addition. The building was to be 40 x 50 feet, two stories and basement and constructed of pressed brick. There were to be four apartments of five rooms and bath each. This building was to be located on the lots between the Rush Buell and E.L. Anderson homes.
Miss Lizzie Knecht and Edward Wilkes were married June 22, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. J.A.B. McElroy near Rensselaer.
Mrs. Lutie Carrico left for a visit to Arapahoe, Nebr.
Mr. and Mrs. C.P. Forsythe and daughter arrived from Bristow, Okla., for a visit.
90 Years Ago
June 25-29, 1926
The Henderson Produce Company inaugurated a truck service between their house at Shelbina and Paris, and the main house in Monroe City, two round trips being made daily.
Mr. and Mrs. James Chitwood of near Warren were parents of a son born June 21.
Miss Mary Greenwell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. G.J. Greenwell of Lakenan, and Ernest VanMarter of Hannibal, son of Mr. and Mrs. W.B. VanMarter of this city, were married June 28 in Shelbina.
The Rev. E.T. Mangum, pastor of the First Baptist Church, advised his wife by cable that he had landed at Alexandria, Egypt, on a trip to the Holy Land.
Dr. and Mrs. Thomas Bell and family of Minneapolis, Minn., came for their annual summer visit with his parents, Dr. and Mrs. J.H. Bell.
Sunday school day was observed at the Methodist Church with the following taking part in the program: Woodrow Harris, Minnie Karr, Mildred Wadsworth, Jack Tuley, Cornelia Moore Tuley, Edith Walker, Junior Lessman, Robert Couch, Howard Thiehoff, Darlene Jackson, Alice Elnora Jones, Eleanor Lindstrom, Nadine Meagher, Dorothy Tuley, Joseph hardy, Grady wade, Vivian Mounce, Miss Ethelyn Cline, Junior Harris and Rev. Ernest Jones.
Miss Manona Shearman, Mildred Wade, Alice Elnora Jones and Edith Walker went to Fayette to attend the Assembly of Missouri Conference of Epworth Leagues.
80 Years Ago
June 25, 1936
Mayor L.M. Wood was appointed chairman of the Roosevelt Nominators for Monroe City by James A. Farley, chairman of the Democratic National Committee.
Miss Evelyn Jackson and Luther Griffith were married June 20 in St. Louis.
Louis Lanham and J.A. Montgomery Jr., were members of a class of 45 who received major degrees in the Knights of Columbus June 21 in Quincy. Other members included John Paul Adam, John B. Yager, Joseph Blickhan, Bernard Engle, Victor Engel, Thomas O’Daniel and Charles Spalding of Indian Creek.
A daughter, Janice Cecile was born June 23 to Mr. and Mrs. L.E. Ross.
Mrs. L.M. Dodd was elected president of the Mother’s Club for the ensuing year. Other officers were: Mrs. E.C. Spalding, vice president; Mrs. Edward Hampton, recording secretary; Mrs. Paul VanMarter, treasurer; Mrs. Marvin Painter, corresponding secretary. Mrs. Marvin Painter, Mrs. James Nesbit and Mrs. Elmo Wilson were accepted as new members.
Miss Frances Rouse, teacher in the Evanston, Ill. schools, arrived to spend the summer vacation with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. W.J. Rouse,
Mrs. R.F. Asbury and daughter, Doris, of Memphis, Tenn., came for a visit with her father, J.A. Yates, and other relatives.
Mr. and Mrs. Ambrose Schmidt and daughter of Washington, D.C., were guests of Mr. and Mrs. W.E. Yowell and Mr. and Mrs. A.F. Griffith.
70 Years Ago
June 27, 1946
Mr. and Mrs. John F. Ritter were parents of a son born June 20. He was named John Franklin Jr., and was their second child and first son. Mr. and Mrs. Dennis Toland were parents of a daughter, Barbara Jean, born June 21.
Miss Pearl Olson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Olson north of Monroe City, received her diploma and nurses’ pin at the graduating exercises for the 1946 class at Missouri Baptist Hospital in St. Louis.
Miss Teresa Quinn, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph P. Quinn of this city, and Carl Jake Shively, son of Mr. and Mrs. J.C. Shively, were married June 27, in Holy Rosary Catholic Church by the Rev. Fr. E. Connolly.
Banns were published in Holy Rosary Catholic Church for the approaching wedding of Miss Margaret Tewell, daughter of Mrs. Margaret Tewell, to Benedict Joseph Hays, son of Mr. and Mrs. Sterling Hays.
One-hundred-eight children enrolled in the 14th annual vacation Bible school, with Rev. Harry C. Wigger, pastor of the First Baptist Church, in charge.
Servicemen who received their discharges from the U.S. Armed Forces were: Bruce E. Gander, Charles Z. Young, Dale H. Troxel, William Herschel Graupman, Robert G. Calvert, Joseph Richard Mudd, Manly Utterback, Jack Spalding, John C. (Jack) Burditt and Jimmie B. Bannister.
Miss Dorothy Ann Quinn went to Denver, Colo., to be with her sister, Mrs. Maurice Pike and family. She had accepted employment in Denver.
60 Years Ago
June 21, 1956
The Monroe City Lions Club honored four 25-year members at a banquet and ladies night held in the public school cafeteria June 14, marking the 25th anniversary of the chartering of the club chapter. Charter members were Robert L. Hawkins, P.F. White, Dr. R.C. Galbraith and Judge Roy B. Meriwether. Ben Barrows, president, was master of ceremonies.
Mr. and Mrs. Dwight Henderson and son, David, moved Saturday to the home they recently purchased from Mr. and Mrs. Marvin Painter, located at 827 N. Main Street. Mr. and Mrs. Early Massey and daughter were to move to the residence on Second Street vacated by the Hendersons.
Mrs. Jack Jones had accepted a contract to teach commerce in the Perry High School for the 1956-57 term.
Mr. and Mrs. J.D. Thomas south of Monroe City were parents of a son born June 13, in St. Elizabeth Hospital, Hannibal. Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Whelan of Stoutsville were parents of a son born June 15, at their home. Mr. and Mrs. John Leo Keller, north of Monroe City, were parents of a son born June 18, in St. Elizabeth Hospital, Hannibal.
A total of 4.13 inches of rain had fallen in Monroe City within the past four days. The high reading for the week was 97 degrees on June 19 and the low record was 66 degrees on June 14.
The Rev. Fr. Glen Scobee, who had served as pastor of the Catholic churches of Kahoka and Wayland for the past eight years, had been named pastor of the St. Stephen Church at Indian Creek and St. Frances Cabrini Church at Paris.
50 Years Ago
June 23, 1966
Five persons narrowly escaped death June 16 at the Oak Street-C.B. & Q. railroad crossing when a car driven by Patricia L. Minter apparently failed to hear or see a train coming. All the occupants were treated for minor injuries and released from St. Elizabeth Hospital.
The new Monroe City Methodist Church minister, Rev. Wesley L. Brun, preached his first sermon June 19. He and his family moved from Wentzville.
A letter from the Division of Instruction of the State Department of Education was received by the R-I Board of Education indicating the school system had maintained the “AA” classification.
Births: a daughter, Carla Michelle, June 15 to Mr. and Mrs. Carl Thompson; son, William Raymond, Jr., June 14 to Mr. and Mrs. William R. Janes at St. Elizabeth Hospital, Hannibal; a daughter, Tamora Sue, June 17 to Mr. and Mrs. Rudy Meyer of Mexico; a son, Allen Russell, June 11 to Mr. and Mrs. C.W. Steinberg of Los Gatos, Calif.
40 Years Ago
June 17, 1976
A $75,000 general obligation bond issue for construction of a municipal golf course for Monroe City was defeated, although more than half the voters who cast ballots approved the issue. There were 337 yeas votes and only 325 no votes, but a two-thirds majority was required to pass the issue.
James H. Holloway of Liberty, Mo., made a hand made train for use in the Safety Town. He is the father of Tom Holloway.
Vacation Bible School was held at the Monroe City Methodist Church with children from Monroe City Christian, Methodist and St. Jude Episcopal Churches.
Births: a son, Michael Craig, June 14 to Mr. and Mrs. Johnny Walkup of Stoutsville.
John Abell, from Silverton, Ore., traveled 2,500 miles by bus to attend the Holy Rosary Homecoming. He was a graduate from Holy Rosary School in 1910.
30 Years Ago
June 19, 1986
Thirty-six pints of blood were collected at a special O Type blood drive, sponsored by the FFA at the Holy Rosary Church basement.
Births: a son, Jack Edward, June 9 to Mr. and Mrs. Stan Thompson.
Dee Ann Johnson, nine, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. David Johnson of Monroe City, was accepted as a state finalist in the Miss Missouri American Pre-Teen Pageant.
Leslee A. Fray, daughter of Mrs. Ann Fray of Monroe City, was named to the achievement list at William Woods College in Fulton for the 1986 winter/short term.
James Joseph Elliott enlisted in the U.S. Air Force.
William Edward Rice graduated from Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas.
Mr. and Mrs. Dallas Mayes were to celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary June 23.
20 Years Ago
June 13, 1996
The Monroe City Board of Education approved a design for a new look for the gymnasium.
Heather O’Bryan, daughter of Kent and Sara O’Bryan of Hunnewell and Heath Helsel, son of David and Paul Watz of Branson and John Helsel of St. Joseph were married at the Monroe City United Methodist Church April 6.