100 Years Ago
July 7, 1916
Members of Chapter H, P.E.O., entertained members of the Century Club and U.D.C., at a joint meeting of the three club groups. The program was arranged by the P.E.O., the following taking part: Mrs. R.B. Meriwether, Mrs. W.G. Williamson, Miss Mildred Buell, Miss Proctor, Mrs. Medcalf, Miss Nana Hume, Miss Jaeger, Mrs. J.S. Conway, Misses Helen Southern, Lilas Haynie, Lena Bess Asbury, Bernadette O’Daniel, Mrs. H.E. Gray and Mrs. S.B. Thiehoff.
Harold Davenport left for Nevada where he was to report with the Missouri National Guard. Edgar McCann left for Fremont, Neb., where he had enlisted in a National Guard Company formed at that place. Alber and Ed Slaughter left Hannibal for Nevada to join Company E. Stanley Starrett, who was a member of Company D, 7th Infantry of Missouri, was stationed at El Paso, Texas.
Miss Mabel Hawkins and Miss Ruth Wilson appeared in the June recital given by the voice pupils of Mrs. Lillian B. Ingram in Quincy.
Miss Edna Nolen left for Columbia to visit her sisters, Mrs. W.T. Armstrong and Miss Berta Lee Nolen, who were attending the summer session at the University of Missouri.
J.C. Kincaid left for an extended trip through the Northwest. He planned to visit in Butte City and Hamilton, Mont., Portland, Ore., Seattle, Spokane, and Tacoma, Wash., and Victoria, British Columbia.
Fifty children enjoyed a little folks party in the rectory of St. Jude’s Church with Elizabeth and Kathryn White and Margaret and Jacqueline Hoover as the hostesses.
Officers installed in the Rebekah Lodge for the ensuing term were: Mrs. Lucy Ebey, Miss Edith Jarman, Mrs. Hattie Aye, Miss Mabel Leininger, Mrs. Margaret Jamison, Miss Mayme Lewis, Mrs. Alice Clawson, Miss Beulah Jackson and Mrs. Charlotte Green.
90 Years Ago
July 2-6, 1926
Mrs. Fannie Richardson of Spearman, Texas, arrived for a visit with relatives in this city. This was her first visit to Missouri in 30 years.
Miss Luvenia Straub, daughter of Mrs. Julia Straub, was married July 1 to Henry Horeis of Quincy. Miss Eleanor Long, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. L.S. Long of St. Joseph, and Dr. Eldred V. Thiehoff were married July 3 at St. Joseph.
C.W. Hoar was building a new home on the site of the Hoar residence on South Davis Street that was destroyed by fire.
Dr. and Mrs. Rush Turner arrived in this city from St. Louis to make their home. Dr. Tuner planned to be associated in the drug store business with his father, G.L. Turner.
Miss Marie Nash and Richard Hawkins were married in Kansas City July 4.
Announcement was made of the approaching marriage of Miss Nadine Elizabeth Vogt, daughter or Mr. and Mrs. Louis Vogt of West Ely, to Louis Edwin Frankenbach. The wedding was to take place Aug. 1.
80 Years Ago
July 2, 1936
Miss Agnes O’Daniel and Clarence Morris were married June 27 at the Holy Rosary rectory, by the Rev. Fr. E. Connolly.
Miss Della Jarboe returned from Honolulu, Hawaii, where she had been stationed for a year as supervisor of nurses in St. Francis Hospital.
A.F. Ritter was appointed agent for the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy railroad in this city, succeeding S.B. Thiehoff, who retired June 30.
Miss Martha Yates, daughter of Mrs. Margaret Frisbie of Quincy, was married June 20 to Cecil D. Smith, son of Mr. and Mrs. Clyde Smith of Hannibal. The ceremony took place in Quincy.
Mr. and Mrs. Maurice Moyers were parents of a daughter born June 30.
C.F. Dierks left for Hollywood, Calif., to visit his daughter, Miss Bertha L. Dierks.
70 Years Ago
July 4, 1946
Miss Betty Anne Osbourne, daughter of Mrs. Zelma Osbourne, was married July 1 to James Thomas Byland. The double ring ceremony was read by the Rev. Fr. E. Connolly at the parish house of Holy Rosary Catholic Church.
Mr. and Mrs. Southern Gordanier were parents of a son born June 27 in Levering Hospital, Hannibal.
First Lieut. Bernis F. McClain, son of Mr. and Mrs. MB. McClain and husband of the former Marguerite Dooley, was placed on terminal leave June 29 at Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
Lieut. and Mrs. Richard Dent and daughter, Joanne, left for their home in Trenton, N.J., where Lieut. Dent was stationed in a recruiting office of the U.S. Army.
Midshipman William L. Griffith left to return to the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Md., following a leave since June 6 with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. W.F. Griffith.
Mrs. Dale Meyer, the former Miss Muriel Romig, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J.W. Romig, planned to leave July 7 for Fort Hamilton, N.Y., to receive her assignment to a ship for transportation overseas to Europe to join her husband, Lieut. Meyer, who was serving with the U.S. Occupation Forces in Germany.
60 Years Ago
June 28, 1956
James Martin Thomas, four-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. J.D. Thomas, drowned June 24 in a pond on his parents’ farm.
Joe T. Montgomery of near Indian Creek and Godfrey Bode & son of West Ely delivered the first wheat of the 1956 season. The Montgomery wheat was off 10 acres of land and averaged about 22 bushels per acre and tested 58 lbs. per bushel with a moisture content of 14.40 per cent. The Bode wheat tested 59 to 60 lbs. per bushel with a moisture content of 18 per cent.
Gary Tramel, son of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Tramel and a member of the U.S. Army Reserve in Hannibal enlisted June 21 in the regular army. George Schnetzer, son of Mr. and Mrs. J.W. Schnetzer, had enlisted in the U.S. Army.
Miss Patsy Morris, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Morris south of Indian Creek, entered the Sacred Heart Convent in Springfield, Ill., to become a member of the Order of Dominican Sisters.
Richard Ellis, son of Dr. and Mrs. Harold F. Ellis, and William Wiggins were graduated form Worsham College of Mortuary Science in Chicago.
High temperature reading for the week was 98 degrees and the low recorded was 68.
50 Years Ago
June 30, 1966
The municipal swimming pool construction had progressed to a point where water had been put in the pool, but only to check for leaks in the construction and pipes. The bathhouse neared completion with roofing shingles and interior work to be done.
Ann Begeman, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ward Begeman and Linda Adam, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Paul Adam returned from Girls State in Columbia at Stephens College.
Charles P. Painter, 87, a former Hunnewell resident, received his 65 year pin from the Hunnewell Lodge No. 415, A.F. & A.M. on June 15 at the Beaumont Room of the Jefferson Hotel in Macon.
Births: a daughter, Lisa Anne, June 20 to Mr. and Mrs. Junior Friedlein of Quincy; a son, Thomas Ross, June 22 to Mr. and Mrs. Tommy Dowell; a daughter, Paula Gayle, June 26 to Mr. and Mrs. Ivan Hendrix.
40 Years Ago
June 24, 1976
Although both members of the Monroe City Ambulance District service offered their resignations to the district board at the June 14 meeting, neither was accepted, but the resignation later in the evening of A.B. DeWilde as a member of the board was accepted and he was excused from the meeting.
The regular meeting of Monroe City Council was held June 10. Results of the election held Tuesday, June 8, were approved, and an ordinance passed declaring that the $75,000 general obligation bond issue for construction of a golf course had failed.
“Nostalgia on Parade” was to be the theme of the Bicentennial Fashion Show sponsored by the Fidelis Club which was to be presented June 27, in the junior high school auditorium.
Connie Kendrick and Frank Walker were married June 5 at the Holy Rosary Catholic Church by Rev. Richard Hunkins.
Births: a son, Eric Shawn, June 18 to Mr. and Mrs. Terrance Burditt; a son, Daniel Joseph, June 20 to Mr. and Mrs. Ted O’Connor.
John and Shirley Huggans opened the Western Auto on South Main Street.
30 Years Ago
June 26, 1986
Steve Kendrick, manager of The Ice House, announced that the expansion of the business which had been underway for several weeks had been completed.
A 45-year old O’Fallon woman died June 21 at Levering Hospital following surgery for deep lacerations suffered when a spinning boat propeller struck her leg in an accident at Mark Twain Lake.
The Indian Creek Marina was planning to open June 27.
Spotlights were added to the grounds of St. Jude Bandstand.
Jane Anne Stone and William H. (Bill) Olson, Jr., were united in marriage May 23.
Mr. and Mrs. John R. Young celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary June 22. They were married June 19, 1926.
Richard Deien received the chance to show off his basketball talent as he was selected to play in the Coaches All-Star Game on the NMSU campus in Kirksville.
Births: a daughter, Kelly Elizabeth, June 20 to Mr. and Mrs. Randy Murry.
Brian J. Smith, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Smith was the recipient of a scholarship to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
William Edward Rice, son of Dr. and Mrs. William E. Rice received a Bachelor of Arts degree in biology from Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas.
Ryan Bramblett, 11-year-old son of Karan Bramblett and Jim Bramblett, ran the 3,000 meter run in the AAU (Amateur Athletic Association Junior Olympics) in St. Louis June 14 at Washington University.
20 Years Ago
June 20, 1996
Plans were underway for the annual Fourth of July parade that was to be held on July 4.
Tri-County Manufactured Homes, owned by Mike and Missy Hetheriton, celebrated its Grand Opening
G.H. “Sam” and Ruth Lomax of Hannibal were to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary June 30 with a reception in their honor given by their family.
The Monroe City Fire Department received a Gold Award from the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
Members of the Backyard Bible School included Aaron Redmon, Kirsti Beaver, Curtis Jarman, Jessica Redmon, Lisa Shepherd, Steven Foss, Brittany Dean, Lindsay Moore, Sarah Geist, Alexis Redmon, Jeff Carson, Tyfani Hulse, Blake Dorsey, Kris Carson, Somer Dorsey and Kari Beaver.
10 Years Ago
June 21, 2006
Taken from the files of The Lake Gazette
A flag burning ceremony was performed by the VFW Post 4240 on Flag Day, June 14.
Melissa Nimmo and Jason Chinn were to be married at the St. Wenceslaus Catholic Church in Omaha, Neb. July 8.
Andy Campbell of Fawcett, Missouri, originally from Philadelphia won the KICK-FM Colgate Country Showdown.