This Years ago (1916-1956) should have been in the May 25 issue of The Lake Gazette. The 50 year ago Monroe City News had it for the week of June 16, 1956. Sorry for the mix-up.
100 Years Ago
June 2-8, 1916
Jasper Henderson of this city closed a deal with the Davis-Cleaver Company of Macon, in which he bought that company’s poultry houses at Macon, Clarence and Atlanta. J. Henderson, who had been in charge of the branch house at Shelbina, was to assume charge of the Macon house.
Eleven graduates of Holy Rosary High School received diplomas at the commencement exercises May 30. They were: Virginia Jane Hoar, valedictorian; Lillian Bell Hagan, Anna Elizabeth Hancock, Hazel Lucretia McCann, Anna Mary McAllister, Gladys Eulalie Pierceall, Rose Mary Smith, Mary Opal Vaught, Frances Agnes Yates, Lucy Magdalene Yates and Otto Paul Robey.
Miss Ada Smith and R.B. Sandifer were married May 31.
Miss Virginia May Nolen, daughter of A.J. Nolen of this city, was married to William Tyree Armstrong of Odessa, June 3 in the home of the bride. Miss Frances Ragar and R. Gilbert Hagan were married June 5 at Holy Rosary Church. They were attended by Hazel Pierceall and Casey Fahy.
Miss Mary Kern was elected teacher of Cooper School. She was a member of the 1916 graduating class of Monroe City High School.
Mrs. T.C. McDonald of Denver, Colo., was visiting her parents, Dr. and Mrs. E. McNair.
Miss Lenna Evans went to St. Louis to visit with friends and from there was going to Boulder, Colo., to attend the summer session of the University of Colorado.
90 Years Ago
June 8, 1926
Rev. E.T. Magnum, pastor of the First Baptist Church, left for New York to sail on the steamship Roma, on a three month’s pilgrimage to the Holy Land.
A son was born June 4 to Mr. and Mrs. James R. Jackson.
Paul Kimes and Adelbert Ely, students in Central College, Fayette, returned to their homes for the summer vacation with their parents, Mr. and Mrs. J.B. Kimes and Mr. and Mrs. Lee Ely.
Eighteen candidates for major office in Monroe County had filed, with all but two of the offices having contests. W.E. (Doc) Whitecotton was unopposed for representative in the state legislature and Marcus J. Heathman had no opposition for circuit clerk. Candidates in the offices which were contested were: Presiding judge county court, W.D. Norman, R.L. McCann; judge count court western district; C.A. Hall. Park F. Dickerson; prosecuting attorney, Thomas V. Proctor, W.W. Barnes; county clerk, Guy C. Gwyn, John H. Crump; collector, Harold J. Hagan, A.C. Deaver, T. Wilson Crigler, Edgar B. Botkins; probate judge, Penn Brace, Earl Cowherd.
Officers elected by the Junior League of the Methodist Church at the home of the superintendent, Mrs. Node Green, were: Alice Elnora Jones, president; Elizabeth Moss, vice president; Dorothy Roberts, secretary; Salome Smith, treasurer; Garland Byrd, first superintendent; Woodrow Harris, second superintendent; Leonard Moss, third superintendent; and Norman Roberts, fourth superintendent.
80 Year Ago
June 4, 1936
Miss Cecilia Yates, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Elbert Yates, was named valedictorian of the Holy Rosary High School graduating class at the 35th annual closing program. Miss Anna Mary Conboy, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Conboy, received salutatory honors. High school diplomas were presented by Rev. Fr. E. Connolly, parish priest, to the following graduates; Anna Mary Conboy, William J. Conboy, Irma Delonay, William M. Hayden, Erma F. Hays, William Kendrick, Christina Langhammer, Rose Langhammer, Anna Sue Pike, Catherine Whiston and Cecilia Yates.
Miss Dorothy Alexander received her Bachelor of Science degree in education at the University of Missouri.
James Griffith, son of Mr. and Mrs. A. T. Griffith of Palmyra, ranked third in the graduating class of Palmyra High School.
Mr. and Mrs. Clem Jewell of Detroit, Mich., were parents of a son born May 27. She was the former Mildred Jackson.
Miss Edna Ruth Wood, daughter of Mayor and Mrs. L.M. Wood, received scholastic honors at Central College. Miss Wood, a sophomore, was a member of the House Council, A Cappella Choir, Women’s Glee Club, Girls’ Band and vice president of Phi Beta Fraternity.
70 Years Ago
June 6, 1946
Mrs. Ralph Reid was elected temporary president of the newly formed School Parents organization of the Monroe City Public School. Mrs. David Cornish was elected secretary and Mrs. Fletcher Crawford, treasurer.
The following students arrived home from college: Phil Kibbe, Don Dierks, Miss Dorothy Dean, Miss Geraldine Spalding, Jack Spalding and William Griffith.
Staff Sergeant Harry Buckner, brother of Earl and Jewel Buckner of this city, was killed in an accident in Germany on April 21.
Miss Kathleen Kelly, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E.D. Kelly of this city, graduated May 29 from Miss Hickey’s secretarial training school in St. Louis. She accepted a position as private secretary to Dr. L.R. Sante, head of the department of radiology in St. Mary’s Hospital in St. Louis.
Miss Mary M. Hallock and Miss Iola Harwood, dean and associate dean, in Maryville College at Maryville, Tenn., arrived in Monroe City to spend their summer vacation.
J.D. Robey, manager and partner in the Robey-Robinson Lumber Company, observed his 50th year in the lumber business.
Miss Mary Margaret Kelly, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E.D. Kelly, and James Conboy, son of Mrs. Thomas Conboy and the late Mr. Conboy, were married June 1, in Holy Rosary Catholic Church.
Miss Ruth Evelyn Renner, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W.H. Renner, and Murl D. Utterback, son of Clarence Utterback of north of Perry, were married in Hannibal May 26.
60 Years Ago
May 31, 1956
Three members of the 1956 graduating class of Holy Rosary High School were cited for high scholastic honors. Joseph Charlson, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ben Charlson, was named valedictorian and Dorothy Hammerschmidt, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. B.D. Hammerschmidt of the Woodland Community, was salutatorian. Richard Straub, son of Mr. and Mrs. A.A. Straub, ranked third in scholarship.
Work was completed on lost west of the residence of Mr. and Mrs. G.L. Berryman on Highway 36, for construction of an I.G.A. Foodliner.
High temperature reading for the past week was 89 degrees on May 27, with the low being 48 on May 24.
Mr. and Mrs. Charles Pollitt were parents of a daughter born May 26, in St. Elizabeth Hospital, Hannibal. Mrs. Pollitt is the former Margaret Kendrick. Mr. and Mrs. Ferd Higdon of Moline, Ill., were parents of a daughter, Brenda Louise, born May 19,. Mrs. Higdon was the former Jewell Crow of Stoutsville.
The V.F. W. and American Legion Auxiliaries poppy day sales grossed over $196.
50 Years Ago
June 16, 1966
John Delbert Young, 20-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Delbert Young of rural Monroe City, was killed in action June 13 during combat operations against hostile forces in DaNang, Vietnam.
John D. Thomas received at Bachelor of Science Degree in education from the University of Missouri. Miss Jane Saffarrans received a B.S. Degree in education form the University of Missouri.
Roy M. Luyster, retired vocational agriculture instructor from Monroe City R-I, was honored by his colleagues at an agriculture teachers conference held in Columbia and received an award for distinguished service.
Miss Jane Ritter and John William Thompson were married June 11 at Holy Rosary Church by Rev. William Ludwig.
Miss Mary Anne Henderson and John Norman Dinsmore of Paris were married June 11 at the Monroe city Christian Church by the Rev. Deane K. Lierle and the Rev. James Paul Johnson.
40 Years Ago
June 10, 1976
Joan Benson was pictured as she was signing her Bicentennial sketches of Monroe City which were to be on sale at an autograph party hosted by the NEWS.
Story Hour at the Monroe City Library was to be held on Friday mornings during the summer months. Mrs. Pam Drebes was to read to the children.
Births: a daughter, Sarah Elizabeth, June 6 to Mr. and Mrs. Larry Potterfield of the Air Force Base at Rapid City, South Dakota; a son, Michael Joseph, May 21 to Mr. and Mrs. Glenn Yager of Kansas City.
Dr. Bob Carson joined the General Veterinary Clinic of Dr. Jack Coleman.
Miss Janie Spalding and Keith Crowe were married May 31 at the Holy Rosary Catholic Church by Rev. Richard Hunkins.
30 Years Ago
June 12, 1986
On Sunday, June 8, the Monroe City Sheltered Workshop celebrated it dedication of their new addition located at 201 North Locust Street with an open house. Over 150 people attended the dedication.
Michael Jackson made plans to further his basketball career to the college level. Jackson signed a letter of intent to play with Central Methodist University in Fayette, Mo.
Mary Kay Anderson graduated from Southwest Missouri State University with a Bachelor of Science degree in elementary education.
Rev. and Mrs. J.D. Stewart were to celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary June 28 in Sweetwater, Texas.
The engagement of Steve Hays and Nancy Geist was announced. The wedding was planned for June 28.
Births: a son, Jack Edward, June 9 to Mrs. Cindy Thompson; a son, Nicholas Gene, May 28 to Mr. and Mrs. Dave Pfeiffer of Linn, Mo.
20 Years Ago
June 6, 1996
The Sweet Shop re-opened under new ownership, Nina Smith, purchased the business and was to continue to run it “Tillie style.”
Trina Mudd and Larry Greeves were married March 30 at Holy Rosary Church.
Michael Buckman and Tessie Watson announced plans to be married June 8 at St. Jude’s Church Park.
Births: a son, Phillip William was born May 18 at Springfield, MO, to Morris and Maria (Bichsel) Dunger of Ozark.
Angela Broughton graduated from the University of Missouri-Columbia with a Bachelor of Science degree in Agriculture. She is the daughter of Gary and Barbara Broughton
10 Years Ago
June 7, 2006
Taken from the files of The Lake Gazette
A million dollar rain fell on Monroe City to bring relief in the needy Northeast Missouri, a total of 4-5 inches were reported at area farms.
Mr. and Mrs. John Smith of rural Monroe City were to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary June 17 at the Monroe City Methodist Church fellowship hall.
Lynn and Lynette Carmean were to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary June 6.
Births: a son, Aidan Gregory, April 2 to Adam and Tessa Oswald of Palmyra.